Re: OT: Wireless NIC to NIC; need WAP?

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 04:34:50PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> I've got two Debian (Sid) boxes in different parts of the house. Can I
> put in a wireless NIC into each one of them, and them talk to each
> other, or must I have a Wireless Access Point as an intermediary?

Most (if not all) 802.11b cards support 'ad-hoc mode' which allows
them to communicate directly without going through a WAP.

> And one more: why can't I find a PCI wireless NIC, instead of a PCI
> wireless NIC adapter plus a wireless PCMCIA NIC? To me, that seems
> stupid.

Yes, from the consumer's viewpoint, that is stupid.  I suspect that
it's smart from the manufacturer's point of view, though, because
then they only have to design and produce one card instead of two.  I
just hope it doesn't become a trend...

> Thanks (and man! I hope the "inappropriate racist" thread dies soon)!

Agreed!

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss