Re: The future of Debian install??

>>"Michael" == Michael P Soulier <michael.soulier@rogers.com> writes:

 Michael> On 08/03/02 Manoj Srivastava did speaketh:
 >> I beg to differ. A computer is a marvelous, versatile,
 >> flexible, configurable tool, and, I prefer to actually learn how
 >> to use ones tools.

 Michael>     As with everything in life, I prefer to have the
 Michael> choice. I'm using Debian because it's the best, and because
 Michael> I learn, but sometimes I want it to just work, and I don't
 Michael> care about the particular quirks of my monitor and video
 Michael> card because I'm devoting my time to yet another computer
 Michael> topic.

	I think there is a contradiction here.  Indeed, most people
 railing against Debian's interactive install are also railing against
 choice: the install offers you choices at the drop of a hat. If there
 is something that can be tweaked or configured, the install process
 is likely to ask your opinion (give you another choice, in fact).

	Often, the defaults presented work well. Some times, there
 _is_ no default that shall work well for everyone. And hence the
 questions.

	I happen to like being presented the option to tailor the
 package to my liking -- one of he scariest installs I had was
 installing a non-debian machine, in which a ftp server, a http
 server, and samba were installed -- all without asking me a single
 question!  I had no idea how wide open the machine was -- and it
 certainly did not work out of the box.

	manoj
--
 In space, no one can hear you fart.