Re: The future of Debian install??

>>"Francisco" == Francisco M Marzoa Alonso <fmmarzoa@gmx.net> writes:

 Francisco> An elitist... well, if you can configure X from scratch
 Francisco> faster than the computer itself, then you should think
 Francisco> about go to the Guinness show.  Computers are done to make
 Francisco> our lifes easy and to let us avoid repetitive tasks. I'm
 Francisco> not psychologist, but I think making repetitive things
 Francisco> faster is not a manner of evaluate inteligence (or is
 Francisco> it?). A monkey can do that kind of things faster than an
 Francisco> human if it is trained.

	This is getting seriously off topic, but this is somewhat of a
 hot button with me.  You are touching on the tools vs appliance
 dichotomy here.

	A refrigerator is an appliance. I can walk to a refrigerator
 in Hong Kong, and I know how it works: open door, put <object> in,
 <object>'s temperature drops. Sure, there are minor variations (auto
 defrost or not), but by and large, appliance don't require training
 and manuals.

	A tool is something else. Take an Axe. Please note that
 complexity is not an issue: an axe is far simpler than a
 refrigerator.  But as anyone trying to split firewood know, using an
 axe requires training. An Axe is dangerous: hit the chunk of wood
 wrong, and it can rebound off and take off your foot. It is, however,
 more flexible and can do more things than the appliance (toaster,
 refrigerator) -- chop trees, tear through doors and walls in rescues,
 chop wood to kindling, Executioners axes, war axes, throwing axes --
 lots of variations for the tasks.

	Microsoft has made money trying to convince people a general
 purpose computer, one of the most versatile tools invented by man, is
 really a mere appliance, and needs no training to use well.

	I beg to differ. A computer is a marvelous, versatile,
 flexible, configurable tool, and, I prefer to actually learn how
 to use ones tools.

	I probably shall be flamed for this.

	manoj
 who shudders at visions of hammering nails with a chain saw
--
 A salamander scurries into flame to be destroyed. Imaginary creatures
 are trapped in birth on celluloid. Genesis, "The Lamb Lies Down on