Re: The future of Debian install??

Francisco M. Marzoa Alonso wrote:
Well, I don't know how RH goes now, but the first RH distribution I test about seven years ago (4.x or so...) has an installation like the one Debian has today.

The install part on RH is better than what's in Debian, even today; especially when it goes to X. I never said that fresh install in Debian was easier. On Debian, it is a _lot_ easier when installing individual package; in my case, using apt-get.

Keep on mind that everyone can configure this distribution; its not a matter of brain, its a matter of TIME, and there's a lot of people that needs a computer to do things very different that spent time configuring the SO, specially if they're not computer technicians; they do NOT NEED to know

Well, I believe that given the same task, if somebody can do it faster, then there's something in the brain.

nothing about the underlaying technology as, in example, a JAVA programmer DO NOT NEED to know nothing about x86 assembler or an x86 assembler programmer DO NOT NEED to know the machine codes of each mnemonic.

I believe that on installing a fresh Debian system, X is the barrier that you have to overcome; if in fact you needed to run X.

BTW, in the homepage, it is stated that the friendly UI is the shell; even for beginners.
In http://packages.debian.org/unstable:
Shells
Command shells. Friendly user interfaces for beginners.

So, regarding X on Debian, X is extra; something that you have to deal with to pass the beginner stage. It's a bit different with other Linux systems; on others, you'd get into X (pretty automatically) and then go to the command shells when they are ready. On Debian, you go to the shell first; at least to learn what "ls" is. Later, when you need something fancy (like others), you have to install X (pretty manually, espescially on XF86Config).

I believe that the Debian approach is better, in terms of learning; well, you might learn that "X" stands for "X Window System", and not "X Windows System". Or, learning something simple; that "ls" thing. I suspect, there are some RH users who don't know what "ls" is; of course it doesn't quite matter, especially when everything runs smoothly. But once a while (eg: due to electrical spike), the systems are hosed, X is gone; in that moment, you might need "ls".

On the other hand, if you need, or simply want, to learn how an X Server its configured from scratch (or how obtain milk directly from a cow instead from the bottle...), you still will be able to learn it with or without the existence of an automatic setup program.

Thing is, I believe that people wouldn't go manual if they could do it automatically. Well, some people may like to do it manually; you can ask Debian users. And I think they have learned what "X" is.

When computers used perfored cards to store information, holes was performed by a device; but I think you could use a pin and do it by hand...

Finally, I'll like to know everything about every field, but none lives forever.

None lives forever... but to know everything, actually all you need to do is to go in silence; in all there is silence, and in silence there is all.

If Debian has have a better (call it "easier" or "faster" or so...) setup system, I've had migrate to it from years ago.

You flamed on things that I didn't say. All I say was: Debian is better compared to RH on installing packages. You know, apt-get is not for installing fresh systems; APT: A Package Tool.

One thing I don't like about .rpm is that - hmm... I have to say it again - the package installer spits out the names of the files to install when it doesn't find other package(s) to install. So, you'd have a big problem, where could you get that individual file with a name ending with ".o"? So you search it on the net; you might find one... too bad, the link doesn't say about the name of the .rpm package where the file is included.

On apt, it tells you the package names to install, and better yet, if you are connected, apt downloads you the needed packages (and then install the downloaded packages, and download some more if the installed ones are depending on othe packages, and then install...).

Oki