Re: in what config file should I place 'setserial /dev/ttyS3 IRQ 5", and pon ?

* John Kennedy (jhkennedy@hotmail.com) [020312 11:04]:
> Good morning,
>
> I have a 56k dialup/firewall box using Debian 2.2.17
>
> I configured the dialup connection using 'ppp-config'
> and selected 'demand' dial
> however after reboot doing 'netstat -nr' returns only
>
> "192.168.1.10   0.0.0.0   255.255.255.0   eth0"
>
> When I ping an address out on the net it won't dial out.
>
> If I type 'pon' and then 'netstat -nr' i get
> a proper routing table as below
>
> "10.112.112.112  0.0.0.0   UH   ppp0"
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0   U    eth0
> 0.0.0.0    10.112.112.112 UG   ppp0
>
> and I can now ping out of my lan to an ip on the net.
>
> Because I an using IRQ-5 on my modem I must also do a
> 'setserial /dev/ttyS3 IRQ 5" before dialing.
>
> I am curious as to why the modem does not dial out
> after setting 'demand' in 'ppp-config' ?
> I set 'defaultroute' in ppp-config.
>
> My most urgent question here is
> in what config file should I enter the commands to
> 1. do 'setserial /dev/ttyS3 IRQ 5"  after boot.
> 2. do 'pon' after boot.

I'm actually not using ppp, so I'm not the best person to answer this
question, but my instinct is that these things should already happen in
one of the package-provided initscripts. For setserial, you should be
able to 'dpkg-reconfigure setserial' (as root) and have it "autosave
once". This means that any changes you make to /etc/serial.conf this
time will be saved when the system is brought down and restored each
time it's brought up after that.

I guess the short answer is "/etc/serial.conf", and also read the
setserial manpage and (if you know your way around a shell script)
/etc/init.d/setserial.

As for pon; I don't really know (but see below).

> I'm a former Redhat user...
> With Redhat I would put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> but I noticed that my Potato install has no
> file /etc/rc.d/rc.local...
> so what file in Debian 2.2.17 performs rc.locals functions?

Anything you want. Create a file /etc/init.d/local, or, better still,
/etc/init.d/<meaningful-functional-name-here> and create smylinks to it
in /etc/rc?.d . You can see the manpage for update-rc.d or ask around
here for more clues on how to set up the symlinks, if you don't
understand what I mean.

> Also one other question,
> when doing tail -f /var/log/messages  I notice that
> when I'm dialed up but the connection is just sitting there
> dooing nothing for a while I get a bunch of
> '---MARK---'  messages and I'm wondering what they mean.

They come exactly every 20 minutes (by default). I think the idea is to
make it easier to see the time flow when examining a log file; If you
see MARK MARK <message> MARK MARK, you can easily, instantly see that
there is very little activity. If another time you see many, many
messages between each MARK, you know they're coming in rapidly. Sure,
each log item is timestamped, but the MARKs are a handy visual clue. You
can change or disable this behavior in /etc/init.d/sysklogd. Add an
argument to the syslog daemon that specifies -m <interval> to tell it
how often to MARK. The deafult is 20, and 0 disables the MARKs entirely.
This info is in the manpage for sysklogd.

Better still, try gaim: http://gaim.sf.net/

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/