in what config file should I place 'setserial /dev/ttyS3 IRQ 5", and pon ?

Good morning,

I have a 56k dialup/firewall box using Debian 2.2.17

I configured the dialup connection using 'ppp-config'
and selected 'demand' dial
however after reboot doing 'netstat -nr' returns only

"192.168.1.10   0.0.0.0   255.255.255.0   eth0"

When I ping an address out on the net it won't dial out.

If I type 'pon' and then 'netstat -nr' i get
a proper routing table as below

"10.112.112.112  0.0.0.0   UH   ppp0"
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0   U    eth0
0.0.0.0    10.112.112.112 UG   ppp0

and I can now ping out of my lan to an ip on the net.

Because I an using IRQ-5 on my modem I must also do a
'setserial /dev/ttyS3 IRQ 5" before dialing.

I am curious as to why the modem does not dial out
after setting 'demand' in 'ppp-config' ?
I set 'defaultroute' in ppp-config.

My most urgent question here is
in what config file should I enter the commands to
1. do 'setserial /dev/ttyS3 IRQ 5"  after boot.
2. do 'pon' after boot.

I'm a former Redhat user...
With Redhat I would put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
but I noticed that my Potato install has no
file /etc/rc.d/rc.local...
so what file in Debian 2.2.17 performs rc.locals functions?

Also one other question,
when doing tail -f /var/log/messages  I notice that
when I'm dialed up but the connection is just sitting there
dooing nothing for a while I get a bunch of
'---MARK---'  messages and I'm wondering what they mean.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

John