Re: GnuCash vs MoneyDance

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 18:47, David Roundy wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:51:30PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I would very much prefer to keep my system as free as
> > possible. I'd much prefer to use gnucash over some other alternative,
> > but so far I've found it severely lacking in one area, and that's
> > importing bank statements via QIF. I use my Discover and American
> > Express cards quite a bit, and entering each of those transactions into
> > gnucash by hand would get very tedious very quickly. Other than that, I
> > love gnucash. Unfortunately, for me at least, that's reason enough to
> > start looking elsewhere.
>
> I have a question about this.  I've just started using gnucash, so I
> haven't gotten to the point of importing my bank statements (since it
> hasn't been a month yet), but it seems like it has a working import
> function (I tried it on an old month, but didn't actually do it, since it
> would have confused things).
>
> I've heard before that gnucash has problems when you import your monthly
> statements, but never understood what that problem is.  Can you explain
> this for me? I'd rather know what I'm up against when I get my bank
> statements next month...
> --

I am probably not the best person to answer this since I haven't
actually done it myself, but I know people who are able to import
quicken files.  They just need to be in the right format, or something.
Thry got all he needed from the gnucash site:

http://www.gnucash.org/

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com