Re: dpkg - the letter prefixes.. what do they mean

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 07:57:42PM -0600, Mark S. Reglewski wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 10:16:42PM +0100, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
>
> > How about not using ascii art at all, but just use something along the
> > lines of:
> >
> > Status flag explanations:
> > 1) Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> > 2) Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> > 3) Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> >
> > 123 Name           Version        Description
> > ===-==============-==============-============================================
> > ii  vim            6.0.226-1      Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
> >
> > I think that would *really* clear things up a lot. Maybe the
> > explanations could even contain some more spaces.
>
> Excellent.  Easier to read and understand than any of the ascii art

Your right but for the cryptic titles.  Desired and status are weird
names, maybe to you natives it's okee, but I certainly get confused.
They're all about status, so why call one Status?  And to me desired
doesn't imply requested. So, request and Current seem better.  Then
abbreviations are evil and not needed here. Why not:

Status flag explanations (uppercase is bad):
1) Requested: Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
2) Current:   Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
3) Error:     (none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems

123 Name           Version        Description
ii  emacs21        21.1-7         Emacs - the best there is

[[me thinks I need some vacation waisting time like this]]

--
groetjes, carel