Re: dpkg - the letter prefixes.. what do they mean

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 07:48:59AM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
| Mark Janssen <m.janssen@syconos.nl> writes:
|
| > dpkg -l | head
| >
| > The first 3 lines of the dpkg output list what the letters mean.
| >
| > maniac@widow:/etc/courier/smtpaccess$ dpkg -l | head
| > Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| > | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
| > |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
| > +++-==============-==============-============================================
|
| Thanks.
|
| I saw that stuff and couldn't make heads or tails of it.
| My feeling is that it explains nothing and is downright confusing.

It is confusing, until you actually stop and read it and follow the
ascii-art.  The ascii art is arrows pointing from the description line
to the column the description refers to.  The letters are just the
first letter of the word they represent.  It seems rather intuitive to
me (once I decided to actually read that output).

-D

--

All a man's ways seem innocent to him,
but motives are weighed by the Lord.