OpenOffice [was Re: WordPerfect Office 2000 on Debian]

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 11:22:26AM +0000, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:39:03 +1100
> Davor Balder <dbalder@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I use AbiWord as well as OpenOffice... OpenOffice is nice too if you
> > need plenty of nice features... As far as I am concerned, OpenOffice is
> > my favorite for communications with those poor Word users... As a matter
> > of fact I was writing all of my resumes with OpenOffice, converted docs
> > to Word format and attached the with my job applications when I was
> > looking for work...
> >
> > We've had decent and professional WordProcessing packages for Linux for
> > some time now... :-)
>
> Hi Davor. Thanks for your input.
>
> OK, I do have StarOffice 6 Beta installed and it is OK, still very large.
> I tried OpenOffice yesterday and it wasn't nearly as stable. The first
> thing I noticed was that when I clicked on any menu item (like File..
> Edit.. etc.) the drop down menus were not navigable with my mouse - they
> simply disappeared as soon as I tried. I could use the arrow keys on my
> keyboard but is was awkward. OpenOffice crashed a few times on me too.
> What version are you using? I downloaded the 641C version

OpenOffice 641C is not a stable release. I think it is StarOffice 6.0
beta, stripped from some database extras. I have also met with the
terrible mouse/menu problem, BUT only under twm, not under icewm or
KDE.

>- but that was
> dated March 2001.

641C is from 21 december 2001.

> Surely much must have happened in a year. The latest
> versions must be wonderful

641C is the latest version.

> It just seems that we rarely get a polished product. I use Office 95 at
> work, and Word, Excel etc. open in a split second and are very stable. I
> also have the Windows version of StarOffice 6 and the startup splash
> screen stays on the screen for *ages* before anything happens.
>
> I am quite happy to pay money for a product. I bought Applix - nice, but
> still plenty of bugs/annoying features. As a teacher I do a lot of
> DTP-type work (worksheets etc.) and the ability to have pictures/diagrams
> in frames which can be moved around is essential.

kword from KDE is rather DTP oriented, have you tried it?

> A 'Word Art' feature
> would also be extremely useful. For those who don't know it, Word Art is
> an MS OLE utility which turns text into an image which can be resized,
> reshaped, coloured, have borders around the letters etc. very simply
> indeed. I know I can use the Gimp, but it takes a lot more work to do
> simple things this way. The Star Office version of this is a joke. The
> availability of such a utility would be the one feature which would mean I
> could be truly rid of MS Windows at home!

I have played a bit with abiword, kword, StarOffice 5.2, OpenOffice
641C, Wordperfect 8. They all have some strength, but none can really
replace MS Word.

Personally I prefer latex with emacs or lyx, but my wife has done some
serious typing in StarOffice 5.2 and OpenOffice.

I work at a university and I hope to convince the rest of the
institution that diskless clients running GNU/Linux is a better
choice, but right now that's not realistic: they will all miss MS Word
+ EndNote too much. A stable release of OpenOffice that could use some
wine-ified EndNote, or by other means could offer easy data exchange
with bibliography databases, could change that. WP8 is just too ugly
IMHO.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand