graphical file managers (gmc vs. nautilus)

I need to find a good graphical file manager for my family pc.  I am
aware of two choices: gmc and nautilus.

Right now they are using gmc.  I like it because it is simple and
straightforward.  The only problem is that I have not been able to
associate mime-types with applications.  Say, for example, that I want
.doc and .sxw files to open with StarOffice when they are clicked.  I
have tried to do it in the gnome control center and also by editing
mc.keys directly.  I have googled and searched the entire gnome site, and
got the impression that people are aware of this problem, but not
dealing with it because gnome is standardizing on nautilus.

I have tried nautilus.  It worked quite well, with one exception.  I use
autofs to handle mounting of the cdrom, floppy, and flash.  Autofs works
by by detecting when a user tries to chdir to a certainf mount point
(eg. /var/autofs/flash/flash).  Thing is, if the contents of
/var/autofs/flash are listed before the flash is mounted, the directory
shows nothing.

Now, I don't expect my family members to memorize the
/var/autofs/flash/flash mountpoint, and since the directory shows
nothing before it is listed, they can't graphically navigate there.  My
solution to this was to put symlinks in their home directories, ie.

ln -s /var/autofs/flash/flash ~/Flash

With gmc, this works great.  They click on the link in their home
directory and the media is mounted.  I can put icons on the desktop as
well.

With nautilus, it doesn't work.  When the link is clicked, nautilus
reports an error and asks if the link should be removed.  It then
proceeds to remove the link, even if the link is owned by another user.

Is this a nautilus problem, an autofs problem or both?  I'm not sure
where to report the bug.

Also, if anyone has a better way to set up autofs and get it to work
with nautilus, please let me know.

$ dpkg -l | egrep '(gmc|nautilus|autofs)'
ii  autofs         3.9.99-4.0.0pr A kernel-based automounter for Linux.
ii  gmc            4.5.55-1.1     Midnight Commander - A powerful file
ii  libnautilus0   1.0.6-2        Shared libraries that part of Nautilus
ii  mc-common      4.5.55-1.1     Common files for mc and gmc
rc  nautilus       1.0.6-2        file manager and graphical shell
$ uname -a
Linux briarhill 2.4.17 #1 SMP Tue Jan 15 18:05:28 EST 2002 i686 unknown

--
Brought to you by Debian 3.0
Linux took 2.4.16 #1 SMP Sat Jan 5 12:52:24 EST 2002 i686 unknown