Re: graphical file managers (gmc vs. nautilus)

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 12:56:04PM -0500, Angus D Madden wrote:
> I need to find a good graphical file manager for my family pc.  I am
> aware of two choices: gmc and nautilus.
>
> Right now they are using gmc.  I like it because it is simple and
> straightforward.  The only problem is that I have not been able to
> associate mime-types with applications.  Say, for example, that I want
> .doc and .sxw files to open with StarOffice when they are clicked.  I
> have tried to do it in the gnome control center and also by editing
> mc.keys directly.  I have googled and searched the entire gnome site, and
> got the impression that people are aware of this problem, but not
> dealing with it because gnome is standardizing on nautilus.

My solution in using Mime types with mc is the following
section in /etc/mc.ext:

---<snip>---
### Default ###

# Default target for anything not described above
default/*
        Open=see %d/%p
        Title=%p

I also removed any application specific stuff out of /etc/mc.ext.

works quite well for me.

-timo

--
gpg key fingerprint = 6832 C8EC D823 4059 0CD1  6FBF 9383 7DBD 109E 98DC