Re: What shows what an uninstalled package does?

> If I want to find out about a package.  I mean, like what it
> actually does, what is the right command, when the package is not
> installed but apt-cache knows about it?

I'd recommend not trying to do everything from the command line.
These days, I like 'aptitude' as a front-end to APT; it's easy to see
a package's description, dependencies/recommendations/suggestions and
reverse *, and to resolve dependency issues that come out of
packages.  Simple prodding inside of aptitude can usually give a quick
answer to the all-too-often-asked question, "why does 'apt-get
dist-upgrade' want to remove [package I care about]?".

> In case any former redhat users see this, I'm looking for something
> that works like `rpm -qip <package>' (which also works on ftp sites
> that allow it) It gives a general blurb that tells what the package
> does.

'dpkg -s <package>' (for installed packages) or 'apt-cache show
<package>' will give you the package description.

	-- Abra Mitchell