Re: Re-building kernel with make-kpkg (was: cdrecord + ide cdrw)

On 3 Mar 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 11:23 AM 03/03/02 +1100, Davor Balder wrote:
> >
> >make-kpkg clean
> >make-kpkg --revision=<your_kernel_name> kernel_image
> >dpkg -i <your_kernel_image.deb>
>
> This was nice as it moved my existing kernel to .old, but that made me wonder:
>
> Say I rebuild my kernel after it's installed I decided I want to change a
> kernel setting.  If I go through the same procedure to build the kernel
> again will the existing kernel get replaced again?
>
> That is, say I started out with just one kernel 2.2.20.  I build a new
> 2.4.17 kernel and ran make-kpkg and dpkg -i.  So now
>
>    vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
>    vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
>
> Now, if I want to rebuild 2.4.17 with some option I forget when I first
> compiled it, can I use make-kpkg and dpkg -i, but only replace the
> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17 version and leave 2.2.20 where it is (as my .old version?)

Having done something very similar (except with 2.2.19pre17), I can tell
you that this is what happens. From the README in kernel-package

"...The old vmlinuz is moved to vmlinuz.old unconditionally. (Normally,
that is only done if the version of the new image differs from the old
one)."

Version here of course means package version. If both your old and new
2.4.17 both correspond to the package name kernel-image-2.4.17 then dpkg
considers these to be the same version.

"A note on boot loaders: the kernel-image install-scripts arrange to have
/vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old point to the latest kernel image and the next
most recent one, respectively."

This README is worth perusing carefully, along with the other
documentation.

> Or will it end up like
>
>    vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
>    vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17

No, this would never happen. I assume you mean two symlinks pointing to
the same file?
                                                      Faheem.