Re: Re-building kernel with make-kpkg (was: cdrecord + ide cdrw)

* Bill Moseley (moseley@hank.org) spake thusly:
> At 11:23 AM 03/03/02 +1100, Davor Balder wrote:
> >
> >make-kpkg clean
> >make-kpkg --revision=<your_kernel_name> kernel_image
> >dpkg -i <your_kernel_image.deb>
>
> This was nice as it moved my existing kernel to .old, but that made me wonder:
>
> Say I rebuild my kernel after it's installed I decided I want to change a
> kernel setting.  If I go through the same procedure to build the kernel
> again will the existing kernel get replaced again?
>
> That is, say I started out with just one kernel 2.2.20.  I build a new
> 2.4.17 kernel and ran make-kpkg and dpkg -i.  So now
>
>    vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
>    vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
>
> Now, if I want to rebuild 2.4.17 with some option I forget when I first
> compiled it, can I use make-kpkg and dpkg -i, but only replace the
> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17 version and leave 2.2.20 where it is (as my .old version?)
>
> Or will it end up like
>
>    vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
>    vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17

The latter. I suggest you remove /vmlinuz.old symlink, create
e.g. /vmlinuz-2.2.20, and add entry for 2.2.20 to lilo.conf
(just copy the existing entry and give it a different name/target).
This way lilo will not overwrite it, and you'll always have a
"known good kernel" boot option.

Dima
--
We're sysadmins. Sanity happens to other people.                  -- Chris King