Re-building kernel with make-kpkg (was: cdrecord + ide cdrw)

At 11:23 AM 03/03/02 +1100, Davor Balder wrote:

>make-kpkg clean
>make-kpkg --revision=<your_kernel_name> kernel_image
>dpkg -i <your_kernel_image.deb>

This was nice as it moved my existing kernel to .old, but that made me wonder:

Say I rebuild my kernel after it's installed I decided I want to change a
kernel setting.  If I go through the same procedure to build the kernel
again will the existing kernel get replaced again?

That is, say I started out with just one kernel 2.2.20.  I build a new
2.4.17 kernel and ran make-kpkg and dpkg -i.  So now

   vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
   vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci

Now, if I want to rebuild 2.4.17 with some option I forget when I first
compiled it, can I use make-kpkg and dpkg -i, but only replace the
boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17 version and leave 2.2.20 where it is (as my .old version?)

Or will it end up like

   vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
   vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17

(If curious, what I forgot was APM support to power-down my machine on halt
-- that was working on 2.2.20.)

As always, thanks,

--
Bill Moseley