Re: Several packages fail to install, exit status 10

Having gotten no response on the posting below, I'll just ask if anyone can tell me how to find out what an "error exist status [number]" is.

Thanks!

Kent

Kent West wrote:

Several weeks ago I had a failure trying to uninstall gdm on a sid box. Since then, I've been unable to install or uninstall [x|w|g]dm, and several other packages have started failing on install. I've been doing a dselect update/install just about every day, hoping that whatever's broken will get fixed, but so far nothing, and I haven't found any helpful information via dogpile or google. Anyone have a solution?
Thanks!

Here's an example of the error:

 .
 .
 .

Removing xdm ...
dpkg: error processing xdm (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 10
 gdm
 wdm
 xdm
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.
Setting up cupsys (1.1.13-2) ...
dpkg: error processing cupsys (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xserver-xfree86:
 xserver-xfree86 depends on xserver-common (>= 4.1.0-10); however:
  Package xserver-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing xserver-xfree86 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of console-data:
 console-data depends on console-common (>= 0.7.13); however:
  Version of console-common on system is 0.7.12.
dpkg: error processing console-data (--configure):
 cupsys-bsd
 xserver-common
 man-db
 cupsys
 xserver-xfree86
 console-data

installation script returned error exit status 100.
Press <enter> to continue.