Re: Java not working in Galeon/Mozilla

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:53:24PM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:
| On 2 Mar 2002, dman wrote:

| >     1)  add
| >             deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ woody non-free
| >         to your sources.list and update
| >
| >     2)  apt-get install j2sdk1.3
|
| Does anyone know why this package is not in Debian proper? According
| to the archives it was in incoming back last August. Why was it pulled
| out, and is it likely to return?

It is not Free.  The Blackdown folks had to sign NDAs with Sun to get
the source to work on.  Sun only allows binary distribution.  Also,
Sun likes to make people click through half-a-dozen license and other
junk forms when downloading stuff from their site.  I don't think
re-distribution is really allowed.  (I'm just glad the blackdown
mirrors make it so easy to download the package!)

-D

--

"Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language."  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)