Re: Terminfo and emacs

> Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:
>
> > You can fix emacs by using
> >
> >    apt-get install termcap-compat
> >

> > It's about time that emacs supported terminfo but unfortunately there
> > is no one with the time to do the work.
>
> Thanks for the usage tips for dpkg.  And the above install did get
> things working.  However I ran into other problems.  Emacs is not
> finding certain include files for X11 and won't compile with X11
> support.  I didn't save the error output since I don't really want to
> debug it right now.  Too busy getting this new install working.
>
> I use emacs a lot so I just installed the debian version of emacs-21
> instead.  Or I should say I'm downloading it now.

I use emacs-21 from CVS quite happily.

Here is the list of X stuff on my machine:

ii  xbase-clients  4.1.0-9        miscellaneous X clients
ii  xbooks         3.3.6-1        X Window System technical documentation in P
ii  xdm            4.1.0-9        X display manager
ii  xext           3.3.6-11potato extensions to X servers
ii  xf86setup      3.3.6-11potato X server configuration tools
ii  xfonts-100dpi  4.1.0-9        100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi   4.1.0-9        75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-artwiz  1.4            Very small futuristic ASCII fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base    4.1.0-9        standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-cyrilli 4.1.0-9        Cyrillic fonts for X
ii  xfonts-gimpers 1.3            X11 fonts created by Artwiz, TigerT, and Dan
ii  xfonts-pex     3.3.6-2        fonts for minimal PEX support in X
ii  xfonts-scalabl 4.1.0-9        scalable fonts for X
ii  xfonts-scalabl 4.0.3-3        non-free Type1 fonts from XFree86
ii  xfree86-common 4.1.0-9        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
ii  xfs            3.3.6-11potato X font server
ii  xfs-xtt        1.3.0.xf410-10 X-TrueType font server
ii  xlib6g         4.1.0-9        pseudopackage providing X libraries
ii  xlibmesa3      4.1.0-9        XFree86 version of Mesa 3D graphics library
ii  xlibs          4.1.0-9        X Window System client libraries
ii  xlibs-dev      4.1.0-9        X Window System client library development f
ii  xmh            3.3.6-11potato X interface to MH mail system
ii  xnest          3.3.6-11potato nested X server
ii  xproxy         3.3.6-11potato X proxy services
ii  xprt           3.3.6-11potato X print server
ii  xserver-common 4.1.0-9        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-mach64 3.3.6-11potato X server for ATI Mach64-based graphics cards
ii  xserver-vga16  3.3.6-11potato X server for VGA graphics cards
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.1.0-9        the XFree86 X server
ii  xterm          3.3.6-11potato X terminal emulator
ii  xutils         4.1.0-14       X Window System utility programs
ii  xvfb           3.3.6-11potato virtual framebuffer X server
ii  xviddetect     0.3-4          XFree86 installation helper
ii  libxaw6        4.1.0-9        X Athena widget set library (version 6)
ii  libxaw7        4.1.0-9        X Athena widget set library

There might be some other things but I don't think so. I'm fairly
sure that emacs 21 can be built quite easily without development
packages for X.

Nic