Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

> That doesn't seem to do the job here.  Running that command gives me
> two choices twm and sawfish.  No mention of kde or gnome.  Both of
> which are installed.
>
> I do want to use sawfish so set that as default but startx still
> starts kde.

If you have got as far as startx, then you need an .xinitrc file in your
home directory - NOT .xsession, that's for the pretty login ;-)

In there put

#!/bin/sh
exec sawfish &
exec gnome-session

and make it executable.

If you don't want kde get rid of it!

apt-get --purge remove kdebase

but there are possibly more packages than that installed

You did install sawfish-gnome didn't you?  Sawfish, but with a few tweaks
for Gnome compatibility.

hth

Glyn

               *          Here we are then.......               *
               * http://members.tripod.co.uk/Christchurch2000uk *