Re: Help!!! undelete for ext3fs!!!

High,

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I just deleted something I didn't want to delete; won't hurt my system,
> just destroyed some important records I was keeping.
> Is there any way to undelete in ext3fs?
Ouch, no idea.

> And if there is a way, but you had to have it pre-set up before the
> catastrophe occurred, I'd still like to know about it so I will have a
> safeguard in the future.

You can setup some kind of Trashcan yourself. Make a directory on your
system somewhere and make an alias for rm:
alias rm = 'mv ? /tmp/Trashcan'

not sure about the ? which should be the filename. Or write a script for
this. If you are on a multiuser system, you definitely have to write a
script, which moves the deleted files into subdirs in the Trashcan which
are unreadable by other users.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan