Re: Retry.. no more crybaby bs

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 19:34, Harry Putnam wrote:
> OK, list posters, you've advised me to coninue my efforts and step
> back to potato. (See thread suject `Enough time wasted.. moving on')
>
> A coulpe of posters have suggested a network install.  Thing is I have
> $40 dollars worth of cds setting here.  Surely I can at least use them
> to get the base install going and maybe get my nic setup. Then do the
> rest via network?
>
> In the last three attempts my nic is not recognized and any attempt to
> install one of the 3com drivers is rejected.  I didn't capture any
> error info but will this time if it comes up.  My card is:
> 3Com 3C905B-TX (PCI)

That's what I like to hear! (The bit about coming, back, not the NIC
problem. :)

Ok, for starters, if you paid $40 for Woody CDs, you got ripped off.
First, it's not actually released, and second, CD's are what... $0.25 a
piece nowadays? Throw in shipping  and you're looking at no more than
$10. But I digress. The good news is that you CAN still get some use out
of them.

Now, for the NIC problem, the driver you want to use is "3c59x Vortex".
I have that EXACT card in two of my systems, and it's the most painless
one that I've used to date. If it doesn't work, I'd suggest pulling out
any other cards that you don't need to have in during installation for
now.

The install SHOULD go fine for you. Now, if you want to use the Woody
CD's at the earliest convenience, when you're first prompted for
scanning the CDs, just use your Woody CD's instead of the Potato ones.
The "safe" alternative is to install from Potato "fully", but before
going to tasksel, use apt-cdrom to update the info with your Woody CD's.
Everything after that should be fine. If you need any other info, as
always, the list is here. :)

-Alex