Re: Another update on "The Kernel that Wouldn't Boot"

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:46:17PM -0600, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> Hiya,
>   I tried to cook up another kernel, this time without 686 optimizations, and
> unfortunately it _still_ won't boot. Is there some way I can use the Debian
> default configuration rather than my custom kernel configuration, and just
> modify that config to my needs?
>   It seems that the original source code defaults to the kernel.org
> configuration rather than the Kernel config that is used in stock Debian
> kernels. It'd be great if I could just go with the debian settings on my
> optimized kernel - I bet that would clear up the problem.

    I believe--and I'm sure others will correct me on this if I'm wrong,
    that there is a file /boot/config-<kernel-version> that you
    can copy into your linux source code tree as .config, then run a
    make menu-config to make any modifications necessary.

    Then make dep; make etc.

--
Share and Enjoy.