Re: 233 MHz CPU system - Debian and SO 5.2 question

Thanks for all the contributions. I am glad the thread moved also to the lack of a mail merge capable word processor apart from SO. WP8 can do merges but has no address book included, at least the download version I have, but I forgot that merges are possible with the little data base equivalent of *.dat files in WP. Of course WP has very fine and controllable layout options and footnotes/endnotes that stick and do not tumble all over the place like in Word which is important in scientific writing.

However, what indeed lacks in Linux is a word processor that can pull its addresses or references from a MySQL database. This plus some satisfactory Word compatibility would be a strong argument in favor of using such a word processor in the educational field. Just imagine downloading Medline references into a library database from which your word processor pulls them into footnotes. This is possbile with the other OS but why not in Linux? I always thought myself this cannot be too difficult to implement but I do not prgram myself, so I may be misktaken.

Andreas