Re: Best player for Divx, AFS, AVI etc.

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 19:18, Colin Watson wrote:

> True ... but the MPlayer folks are, shall we say, unimpressed with
> people distributing binary packages. See:

You really SHOULD compile your own anyway. I tried using one of the
prepackaged debs before, and all I got was a slow, CPU-hungry, unstable
memory waste. I thought mplayer was just a pathetic application for a
few months. Then I decided to actually build it from source, and now I
have the sleekest, fastest, most stable media player I've ever used.
Your mileage may, of course, vary, but that's just been my experience.
And there are even directions in the install instructions on how to make
a deb of it during installation for easier re-installation later on.

-Alex