Re: 233 MHz CPU system - Debian and SO 5.2 question

    "Andreas" == Andreas von Heydwolff <pirmin2@gmx.net> writes:

    Andreas> Would it make a difference in performance on the 233MHz
    Andreas> MMX CPU and 48Mb RAM system whether I choose potato or
    Andreas> Woody?

I run woody on a 48 Mb Tecra 700ct I got real cheap (1 USD) with a 120
Mhz Pentium. It's pokey, but I don't think there's a woody/potato
issue here. It's the just pokey 'cause the machines pokey. I do not
run X on it yet, so can't say about how it would do with more memory
intensive stuff on it. Go for woody!

    Andreas> Is the Star Office 5.2 address book reliable enough for
    Andreas> mail merges, or has any other word processor
    Andreas> (Applixware?) an address book that can be used for mail
    Andreas> merges?

I used to run Staroffice on a Sony VAIO with a 300+ Mhz processor,
64mb RAM under KDE 2.0 on a Slackware distribution. It did okay. The
233 Mhz should not be the problem, I'd probably worry about the 48Mb
though :-(

Cheers!
Shyamal