233 MHz CPU system - Debian and SO 5.2 question

Am fed up with Windows on a single workstation in a small non-profit organization, used mainly for word processing and mailing. This weekend I have to reinstall the OS, data are on a second HDD since the last major crash so it won't be too much trouble. I intend to make it dual boot with Debian as fallback or even soon primary OS.

Would it make a difference in performance on the 233MHz MMX CPU and 48Mb RAM system whether I choose potato or Woody?

Is the Star Office 5.2 address book reliable enough for mail merges, or has any other word processor (Applixware?) an address book that can be used for mail merges?

Regards,

Andreas von Heydwolff

--
Cannot open display: Success