Re: 233 MHz CPU system - Debian and SO 5.2 question

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:22:01 +0100 Andreas von Heydwolff <pirmin2@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am fed up with Windows on a single workstation in a small non-profit
> organization, used mainly for word processing and mailing. This weekend
> I have to reinstall the OS, data are on a second HDD since the last
> major crash so it won't be too much trouble. I intend to make it dual
> boot with Debian as fallback or even soon primary OS.
>
> Would it make a difference in performance on the 233MHz MMX CPU and 48Mb
> RAM system whether I choose potato or Woody?

As long as you stay with a 2.2 kernel, it should not make a difference.
Still, I'd go upgrade to woody, just to get newer packages.

Note: Stay away from GNOME & KDE!!!  Try a window manager like fvwm
or xfce or blackbox.  Sylpheed is a good, lightweight GUI email
program.

There's a _possibility_ that you could use WordPerfect 6.0 DOS in
the Debian DOS emulator.  That way, you could stay in console mode.

> Is the Star Office 5.2 address book reliable enough for mail merges, or
> has any other word processor (Applixware?) an address book that can be
> used for mail merges?

Even though I'm old enough to know what mail merge is (did it with
WordStar and DataStar on a KayProII CP/M "transportable"), I
couldn't tell you about SO52.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |