Re: 233 MHz CPU system - Debian and SO 5.2 question

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:22:01 +0100 Andreas von Heydwolff <pirmin2@gmx.net> wrote:

Am fed up with Windows on a single workstation in a small non-profit organization, used mainly for word processing and mailing. This weekend I have to reinstall the OS, data are on a second HDD since the last major crash so it won't be too much trouble. I intend to make it dual boot with Debian as fallback or even soon primary OS.

Would it make a difference in performance on the 233MHz MMX CPU and 48Mb RAM system whether I choose potato or Woody?

As long as you stay with a 2.2 kernel, it should not make a difference.
Still, I'd go upgrade to woody, just to get newer packages.

Note: Stay away from GNOME & KDE!!!  Try a window manager like fvwm
or xfce or blackbox.  Sylpheed is a good, lightweight GUI email
program.

There's a _possibility_ that you could use WordPerfect 6.0 DOS in
the Debian DOS emulator.  That way, you could stay in console mode.

Is the Star Office 5.2 address book reliable enough for mail merges, or has any other word processor (Applixware?) an address book that can be used for mail merges?

Even though I'm old enough to know what mail merge is (did it with
WordStar and DataStar on a KayProII CP/M "transportable"), I couldn't tell you about SO52.

Thanks, Ron, and nate (sorry for posting directly to you - Mozilla does this as default).

I've tried in the past to get hold of a copy of WP for DOS. EBay sells it, to my astonishment, at respectable prices. Will have to think about compatibility with what's already there. I followed WordPerfect mailing lists when Corel got into Linux and there were discussions about WP and DOS emulator. I cannot remember whether someone actually tried using it and had success.

I looked at Sylpheed and liked it the other day, is it already stable enough for everyday use? I noticed that there was also Sylpheed-claw which sounded like it was still under heavy development. It did not display umlauts but this may be a .gtkrc issue.

Andreas