Re: apt-get grade have problem, please help

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:37:28AM -0500, eric wrote:
| Dear Debian users:
|
|     When I apt-get upgrade, I meet the following error:
|
| Selecting previously deselected package bind9-host.
| Unpacking bind9-host (from .../bind9-host_1%3a9.2.0-4_i386.deb) ...
| dpkg: error processing
| /var/cache/apt/archives/bind9-host_1%3a9.2.0-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
|  trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/host', which is also in package dnsutils
| dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
| Errors were encountered while processing:
|  /var/cache/apt/archives/bind9-host_1%3a9.2.0-4_i386.deb
| E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
|
| since it did not hint how to fix it, and there are many package did not
| install before this error occur, so please help

I don't know why it would try to install bind9-host, but my
potato->woody upgrade did the same thing.  You can't remove it either
because dpkg claims it isn't installed.  (I haven't seen this happen
on any of my woody->woody upgrades, though)  My solution was to change
/var/lib/dpkg/status to say "purge" instead of "install" for the
package bind9-host.

The relevant part of the status file now looks like :

Package: bind9-host
Section: non-US
Version: 1:9.2.0-4

-D