Re: (OT) chicago

"Mark S. Reglewski" wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 08:25:02PM -0600, Rich Puhek wrote:
> >
> > I do love driving the Chicago area freeways though. Watch "Road Warrior"
> > before you go and you'll be ready for the evening traffic. Nothing like
> > following someone doing 85 on 355 (speed limit supposedly 55 MPH) and
> > seeing someone even crazier rocket by on the right while burning
> > wreckage sits on the right. Just make sure you've got a lot of quarters
> > (or get Ipass).
>
> Heh, heh.  You drive the limit?  Speed limits on the expressways (never
> called freeways by the natives) and tollways are *only* recommendations.
> Except around holiday weekends, the roads are only lightly patrolled by
> state troopers.  And their speeder-catching hideouts are well known to
> regular travelers.  Haven't done 55 in twenty years.  Zero tickets in
> twenty years, without using a radar detector.  That should say something
> about speed enforcement around here.

Ummm, sure, I always drive the speed limit. Especially if any members of
the Illinois law enforcement community are on the list :-)

I agree with the assesment of the speed limits. Just add about 15 MPH
and you've got the true limit, aside from the occational traffic tangles
at stuff like hwy 53.

Now if I could only learn the local nicknames. I turn on the TV in the
hotel or the radio in the car thinking that I'll get info on how traffic
is moving on 90, 94, 55, etc. I never hear that, but they will tell you
how fast the Ike is moving inbound, or that there's an accident on the
tristate. And I've still never found the post office. Everyone in
Chicago seems to go to the same post office, since they'll tell you how
long it takes to get there!

Of course, I get the fun of heading back home through Wisconsin. Been
lucky so far, but they've got a reputation when it comes to speeding,
and pricey tickets to boot (over $100 for 66 MPH in a 65 zone, and some
areas they really mean it).

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.