Re: (OT) chicago

on Thu, Feb 21, 2002, Mark S. Reglewski (markregl@megsinet.net) wrote:
>  On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, dman wrote:
>
> > The details aren't finished yet, but it looks like I'll be working in
> > Chicago (Elgin, actually) next quarter.  Is anyone here in the Chicago
> > area?
>
> I live about three miles from the Loop.  Dman, you may be a fine
> Unix/Linux hacker, but you need to develop your map-reading skills.
> Elgin is about forty miles NW of the Loop, and few Chicagoans or
> Elginians would consider it a suburb of Chicago at that distance.
> It's at the edge of my road map, next to the legend "Here There Be
> Dragons".  If you don't have a car out here, you won't actually be
> *in* Chicago very much, though it's an easy drive on I-90 if you do.

I'd recommend Metra Rail over driving -- far less hassle, no parking
problems, drops you straight into the Loop, and you can hack for an hour
on the way in and out ;-)

...just beware the mid-day service blackout -- 11 am - 1pm or so.
Otherwise, coverage is great.

Not a Chicagoan, but know several well ;-)