Re: Diagnosing poor performance

On Thursday 21 February 2002 02:30 pm, Patrick Kirk wrote:
[snip]
> Tried mc.  I don't like it. Konqueror is a great file manager.  GMC is
> OK but it keeps asking how to open text files which seems an odd thing
> to need to configure.  Are there other light file managers?

try all the others you can find, but i'm sure that, for the sake of lean
operation, you'll come back to mc. it's become a standard for me, a basic
requirement of any distribution i have ever chosen or have been convinced to
install. if it doesn't run mc, it's simply irredeemable. i've found that the
only time i can get mc to crash is on a system-wide context--as opposed to
filename--search, where activity under /proc causes the search to hang due to
constant reiteration. try a search of a remote filesystem with konqueror,
compared to the same search with mc. in fact, try a search of any remote ftp
directory with konqueror, compared with mc, and i'm certain that you'll end
up being an mc advocate.

ben