Diagnosing poor performance

Hi all,

My laptop has a 4MB vid card, 64 MB RAM, 120MB swap and a Pii 400
celeron processor.

I'm running enlightenment with konqueror for file management, galeon for
web and evolution for mail.

Performance is appalling.  Konqueror takes 13 seconds to launch.  Galeon
takes 10 seconds.  Evolution takes 15 seconds. Even Eterm takes over 10
seconds. Switching between apps takes forever and involves screens
freezing.

My suspicion is that konqueror runs a ton of kde stuff, evolution
likewise for gnome stuff and that enlightenment may use more than a
processor cycle or ten thousand.  But I don't know really.

Is there a URL of useful diagnostics?  I don't want to pepper this list
with questions unless I've at least had a chance to go through some
performance diagnostics but I have no idea how to tell what apps or
services are slowing the system down.

So - any preferred url's for semi-skilled people like me?

Patrick