Re: Diagnosing poor performance

Thanks to all who pointed out ways forward.

I have switched to twm which offers all the window management I need.

It seems that I was simply loading the equivalent of three operating
systems by using kde and gnome apps interchangably on Enlightenment.
That's sad.

I like Evolution.  In order to switch, I'd need the app I choose to have
a neat way of managing multiple accounts and mailboxes like the shortcut
bar in Evolution.  It does bug me that I'm loading a calender, PIM, etc.
just to read mail but I would hope that the code is optimised that only
modules that are actually being used are loaded.

I use mutt a lot but I like my GUI.  sorry to all who feel that means I
should really be wearing a tutu and dancing Swan Lake.

Tried mc.  I don't like it. Konqueror is a great file manager.  GMC is
OK but it keeps asking how to open text files which seems an odd thing
to need to configure.  Are there other light file managers?

Thanks again to all who replied.

Patrick