Re: Networking - in theory

Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> writes:

> Ok, a theoretical question.
>
> If I wish to network linux computers along with Windows computers, it seems
> that I have to have Samba server on each Linux workstation.
>
> Is this correct?

If you want to, but generally that is not what an organization would
want to do.

Rather, you would have *one* computer running as a Samba file server
and letting your Windows and (other) Linux boxes access it for it's
shared files. I know very little about print sharing.

> Originally, it was my understanding that Samba server was installed
> only a seperate box that was basically a gateway between, what we
> might call 2 'networks'.

SMB runs over TCP/IP so there'e no reason why a Linux box could not
work with SMB file shares on another linux box running smbd. You,
will, though have to use smbmount on the linux boxes to mount the
shared file system(s).

In general, SMB impliments a classic client-server topology. The file
server (smbd) just exists to let clients connect with it. The windows
machines are the clients as are any linux machines mounting file
shares from the smb server.

Elizabeth