Re: Networking - in theory

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 05:06:51PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
| Ok, a theoretical question.
|
| If I wish to network linux computers along with Windows computers, it seems
| that I have to have Samba server on each Linux workstation.
|
| Is this correct?
|
| Originally, it was my understanding that Samba server was installed only a
| seperate box that was basically a gateway between, what we might call 2
| 'networks'.
|
| Thanks for some input.
|
| Curtis

hi Curtis,

i've used samba to share files and printers - that's what it does. it's
the linux version of what windoze calls "file and print sharing". i
guess, if you had two network cards, each on different subnets
('networks'), samba (probably) could listed for connections on each
subnet.... and you could use smbmount to mount your windoze shares.

good luck,
jason

| registered linux user #202942   |   http://counter.li.org/  |
| Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 Woody      |   2.4.16-k6               |
| jason@theigloo.dhs.org          |   http://theigloo.dhs.org |