Re: Networking - in theory

hi ya curtis

yoou only need a linux that runs samba only if you want
the windoze macjhoenms to read/write into the linux directories
and/or to the printers connected to the linux box

otherwise it doesnt matter if linux is running samba or not
if nothing on linux is being exported to the windoze machines

    /etc/exports
	/home/<win98user>	192.168.111.*....
	/home/<winNTuser>	192.168.111.*....

    /etc/samba/smb.conf
	[/home/<win98user>]
	path = /exports/home/win98user/Win98.Backup
	browseable = yes
	public = no
	writable = yes
	valid users = win98usr
	printable = no
	create mask = 0765

	[printer]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	browseable = no
	guest ok = no
	printable = yes
	print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r  %s ;  rm %s
	printer = xerox
	printing = BSD
	read only = yes

    /etc/printcap
	xerox:

you'd have to also run smbpasswd <usrname> so that the windoze users
dont have to login and can get access to the the resources on the linux
box

one the windoze side... you have to network map the exported directories
	- the printer should just show up in your "control panel" for
	printers

ideally... yoiu'd put all the windoze box to one samba server
( with 2 LAN ) and that way all the net-bui and other windoze stuff is
restricted to that windoze-lan...

c ya
alvin