Re: PPP and Linux 2.4.9

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 21:26:46 +0000 (GMT), Mark Sweeting <mwsweeting@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yes, I do have ppp
> installed, pppd is up and running, and it appears all
> the packages needed are installed. Syslog doesn't show
> any errors -- it shows that everything coming up in
> order. As I said, the routing table looks OK - there
> is an entry for my local network and for the rest of
> the world through ppp0. /etc/resolve.conf looks OK
> too, it has the new name servers in (though the
> origional one on my local network gets removed. Will
> this upset the internet side of things?).
>
> The strange thing is it works on the older system and
> not the newer one. I guess I was wondering if this is
> a bug, or just my setup.

Are you by chance using iptables?  I just now was
suffering a weird problem where the interface would
come up, but I couldn't access anything.  Completely
unloading all of the iptables modules, then bringing
the interface back up seemed to work.  Apparently,
the packets would go out, but the returns were getting
filtered.  But funny, even flushing all of the rules
did not help the situation.

This with kernel 2.4.14.  I'm not sure why this
problem started showing up, since I've been using the
same configuration for almost 3 months.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>