Re: Duplicating installed system

On Friday, February 1, 2002, at 11:27 AM, Sridhar M.A. wrote:

rsync -aH to copy all the
directories.

rsync? I'd trust tar or cp -a more. Especially since it messed up /dev already!

Everything is there. Checked the /etc/fstab and all other places.

Is the partition table correct?

Everything seems (to me) proper. What would be the best way to copy an
existing installation on to a new hard disk?

If the hard disks are the same (geometry, size), then use dd. Just copy the hard disk bit-by-bit. Make sure that the source hard disk doesn't have mounted fs's, and especially not writable ones.