Re: Solved: not starting xdm or gdm by default :)

* Nathan (cornet@sheepy.org) [020128 02:17]:

> > - Just FYI, the Debian way to do this is to use the 'update-rc.d' tool,
> > 	you'll want to check out its man pages. I have my system set up so
> > 	that runlevel 2 doesn't run gdm/xdm automatically, but runlevel 3
> > 	does. Normally I start X-windows with the startx command, and go to
> > 	runlevel 3 ($ telinit 3) if I want gdm.
> >

> update-rc.d -f xdm remove
> update-rc.d -f gdm remove
>
> no more xdm or gdm starting by default :)
>
> nathan
>
> oh when you do an upgrade and it upgrades xdm or gdm you'll have to
> repeat that procedure or the one you did.

Not entirely true. Using update-rc.d -f remove *will* require you to
re-do your changes, but Camilo's way won't. The initscripts and rc?.d
symlinks are treated as config files by the package management system.
If they don't exist, new ones will be placed in the right places at
upgrade/install time. If they do exist but have been modified, the
changes will be respected and left intact.

What I've found is that it's best to leave one runlevel untouched when
playing with rc?.d symlinks, so that debian always knows that the
changes you made to the others are the result of your customizations,
not just your missing config files.

You should probably leave /etc/init.d/xdm as is (not rename it) and
simply remove /etc/rc3.d/*xdm (Assuming 3 is the default runlevel and
the one at which you prefer xdm to not be running). You may also remove
them from other runlevels, but leave at least one /etc/rc?.d/{S,K}??xdm
in place somewhere. Then you can start and stop xdm with /etc/init.d/xdm
{start,stop}, but it won't start up on you automatically.

I hope I didn't just make matters more confusing; feel free to ask
followup questions either on the list or privately.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/