Re: Solved: not starting xdm or gdm by default :)

camilo@cancun.com declaimed:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to all the helpful input i got, i finally managed to do not start
> at the graphical login prompt by default! :D I thought to send it to
> the list in case anyone else is having this problem, its pretty easy
> actually:
>
> as root, just go to /etc/rc2.d  once there, just "mv S99xdm
> offS99xdm", and do the same with S99gdm (in case you have it
> there too)
>
> Now just go to /etc/init.d/ and as above, just "mv xdm offxdm", and
> same with gdm if applicable.
>
> This worked like a charm for me, now it leaves me at the beautiful
> text login, and i can either type "gdm", or "xdm" or just the plain ol'
> "startx" to get my X. :)
>
> Maybe this is not the best way to do it, but it worked for me, and
> maybe it'll work for other people as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Camilo
Congratulations! I've fought this battle myself. Some extra info, in
case you haven't figured this out yet:
- All of the symlinks in the rc?.d folders point to scripts in the
	init.d folder.
- The scripts that start with 'S' are start scripts. When you go to
	runlevel 2, all 'S' scripts in rc2.d are run with the 'start'
	argument. For example, if S99xdm was in there, it's exactly as if root
	had entered:

	# /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm start

	which is the same as

	# /etc/init.d/xdm start

	because one is a symlink to the other. The kill scripts, which start
	with 'K' point to the exact same scripts in init.d, but they get run
	with a 'stop' argument. You should never need to change the scripts in
	init.d, just the symlinks in the rc?.d folders.

- Just FYI, the Debian way to do this is to use the 'update-rc.d' tool,
	you'll want to check out its man pages. I have my system set up so
	that runlevel 2 doesn't run gdm/xdm automatically, but runlevel 3
	does. Normally I start X-windows with the startx command, and go to
	runlevel 3 ($ telinit 3) if I want gdm.

Happy hacking!

Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Another look at Sept 11
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/