semi-ot: learning python

I'd like to learn python.  I know a bit of C++ as a result of taking a
course.  Once I get started programming, I generally enjoy it, but when
I don't have any definite problem to solve, I have problems motivating
myself.  So...

What should I do?  Everything in free software-land seems too
complicated to just jump right into.  What kinds of things did you
people write when you were learning python (or any language for that
matter)?  I've used open source software for a few years and always
wanted to give something back...Unless I have a finite objective, I
usually end up saying "screw this, time for some Urban
Terror"(http://www.urbanterror.net).  Any input is appreciated.

--Greg