Re: semi-ot: learning python

Greg Fischer(gfischer4@mediaone.net) is reported to have said:
> I'd like to learn python.  I know a bit of C++ as a result of taking a
> course.  Once I get started programming, I generally enjoy it, but when
> I don't have any definite problem to solve, I have problems motivating
> myself.  So...
>
> What should I do?  Everything in free software-land seems too
> complicated to just jump right into.  What kinds of things did you
> people write when you were learning python (or any language for that
> matter)?  I've used open source software for a few years and always
> wanted to give something back...Unless I have a finite objective, I
> usually end up saying "screw this, time for some Urban
> Terror"(http://www.urbanterror.net).  Any input is appreciated.

The first python pgm I wrote, as a learning experience, was a program to
getmail.  It is called from cron and it cycles tru a list of my ISP's
servers till it finds one that not busy, or down.  Then logs into the
server, calls fetchmail to get the mail, then shuts down the server
called.  Along the way to uses 'play' to tell me what its doing.

I now use python for just about anything I want to do, such as custom
database apps, astronomy programs, sys admin tasks, keeping track of
internet access times so I don't go over my 75 Hr limit etc.

I tried using perl but my old brain never could get into it.  Python
just seemed like writing a C or pascal program.  The learning curve
was very short.  Go for it, its a a blast.

--
What boots up must come down.