system-wide sawfish + gnome configuration

I am currently preparing a new multiuser system. Previously I have just let users configure their desktops as they like, starting from the distributions defaults, but now I would like to customize our default desktop. So...

How do I create system-wide defaults for sawfish and gnome?

Can I just use the GUI tools to configure them as I like and then somehow "export" my own ~/.sawfish and ~/.gnome directories to the other users?

Yes, I know I could use /etc/skel, but I am looking for a more elegant way, one which I assume will involve the files in /etc/sawfish and /etc/gnome.