Re: how much can it take?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 02:36:28PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya
>
> you can try to do a stress test on your server from the outside world
> and see if its response time is still acceptable
>
> or simple way...
> 	- when yur ids/monitoring tools says that the server doesnt
> 	exist or doesnt respond... you know its too heavily loaded
> 	and it'd be time to make "www" into a cluster of loadsharing
> 	servers
>
> > Hello,
> > I have a Dell PIII 800 MHz with 256 Meg Ram running debian and apache,
> > along with mysql and sendmail. I have a redundant t1 connection to this
> > server.
> > I have a website that gets about 800000 hits per month and transfers
> > about 8403274 KB per month.
> > The site gets an average of about 922 Hits per hour (average of 22139
> > hits per day) the daily transfer rate is an average of 233,424 KB per
> > day.

Add more RAM!! :) With that thing you should have at least 512MB. With
today's cost of RAM - it's pennies.. I would recommend more than 1GB
if you expect your traffic to increase a lot.

Anyway, on a T1 connection, I do not think that it is capable of
killing a machine like that unless you use a lot of SQL things and non-static
things or many mailing lists.... In all cases more RAM is good..

I would suggest a cluster only if you want redundancy - for raw performance
just get a mobo with 2, 4, or 8 processors...

But generally, disk access is _bad_ for overall performance of the server.
So having as much RAM as possible is a must for optimal caching.

- Adam

PS. Back in the olden days, a 486 66MHz could handle 1 hit/s for static
website.. That's >80k hits a day..