Re: persistent keyboard problems

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.16.0739 +0100]:
> i "borrowed" another keyboard, plugged it in, and replicated my
> problem ... had a whole nother frustrated post composed, when i looked
> at *every line* of my .xsession file, and found this line stuck in
> there:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xset r rate 100 255 &

hehe. i put that there. april/may 2001'ish though...

> so the problem's solved.  but i still am a little confused -- (1)
> while this line appears about 4th or so in the whole file, i had been
> calling the correct line *last* in the file for quite a few tries.
> even though i had a line above it which made the rate wrong, calling
> that line afterwards should have fixed it.

not necessarily. xset seems to have a bug. for a while, i had to call it
twice, once with 100 100, then 100 255 to get my effect. no other way
would succeed. but hey, it's surely one of the oldest X tools, and noone
really cares anymore i guess.

> (2) in doing all this, i've noticed that /usr/bin/X11/ is symlinked to
> /usr/X11R6/bin.  why is this?  it seems redundant.

browse your system a little. you'll find many of those. /usr/X11R6/bin
is the X11 Release 6 way of storing binaries that deal with X. but
Debian sees these as binaries that are to remain in /usr/bin. so they
met half way. i am actually surprised that the symlink isn't the other
way around.

btw: http://www.pathname.com/fhs will be able to give you a lot of
background knowledge on why things are where they are.

if god had meant for us to be naked,
we would have been born that way.