Re: persistent keyboard problems

on Tue, 15 Jan 2002 04:06:29PM -0600, Gary Turner insinuated:
> If your problems with repeated keys occurs only on certain keys, it
> could very well be a hardware fault.  Were it a software phenomenon,
> I would expect *every* key to be affected.

i'm sure i don't fully understand this, but were it a hardware
problem, i would think that something as simple as running `xset` at
the command line wouldn't fix it ...

oh, and i just proved my own point.  wow can i be stupid sometimes.

i "borrowed" another keyboard, plugged it in, and replicated my
problem ... had a whole nother frustrated post composed, when i looked
at *every line* of my .xsession file, and found this line stuck in
there:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xset r rate 100 255 &

--which was the source of my problem -- when i tried setting the
keybaord rate like that, ittt    wentt  haaaaaaywiiiiiiiiireeee
likeeee it ddidddd  beforeee and  typeeeddddddd likeeeeeeee thiss,
wwwwhich is  raaaaaather obnooxiousss, wwwwwwwouldd    you nooooottt
say?  i guess the old version of X just interfaced with my keyboard(s)
differently.

so the problem's solved.  but i still am a little confused -- (1)
while this line appears about 4th or so in the whole file, i had been
calling the correct line *last* in the file for quite a few tries.
even though i had a line above it which made the rate wrong, calling
that line afterwards should have fixed it.  (2) in doing all this,
i've noticed that /usr/bin/X11/ is symlinked to /usr/X11R6/bin.  why
is this?  it seems redundant.

what i did manage to do in all this, however, between reboots and
/etc/init.d/xdm restarts, is to completely kill my saved WindowMaker
configurations.  don't know how i did this, but they appear to be gone
::sniff:: so i'll just suck it up and re-do them.  but i'm pretty
clueless as to what i did that killed them -- all i have done is
reboot, edit .xsession, and /etc/init.d/xdm {start,stop,restart}. ...
hm.

but the keyboard problem *is* solved.  so, thanks for your patience
and help!

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html