Re: Gnome printing is broken in unstable

Good day

On 2002.01.15 07:26 Adam Warner wrote:
On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 17:58, Adam Warner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd suggest you don't upgrade unstable until GNOME printing is
sorted
> out. I upgraded a number of packages and all I get is blank text on
> printing and in print preview in Gnome applications such as
Evolution
> and Gedit.
>
> I've got one more computer to upgrade. I'll try and isolate which
> package or packages need to be reverted in order to restore
printing.
> Then I'll file a bug report.

The problem didn't exhibit itself on my other system. I have
discovered
that this is because of the fonts I had already selected for printing
in
the HTML viewing section of control panel. I do no see blank text
using
Arial and Courier New.

By selecting Arial and Courier New for printing on this system I was
able to overcome the blank text problem.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this?

I have CCed this to Neilen Marais <brick@adept.co.za>. See his post of
9
January:

Wow, it is good to see someone with the same problem :)

[My message mostly snipped]

Any ideas?  Should I file a bug?

Thanks
Neilen
[End of my message]

Yes there is a bug. I have reproduced the same problem. Change the
font
from Helvetica to Arial and print preview/printing starts working
again
from Gnumeric.

Which packages are at fault people? libgnomeprint?
I filed against gnumeric, but I (prompted by the gnumeric maintainer)
think its really a gnome print bug. I have emailed the gnome-print
maintainer, but I have not filed a bug against it.  Perhaps you could?

I have even taken the fairly extreme measure of doing a dpkg --force
depends --purge on _all_ gnumeric's dependancies, and then reinstalling
them.  No real change.

Perhaps, I should for good health, try purge/reinstalling all
gnomeprint's and gs's, dependancies, and all fonts on my system.  If
that don't solve it, then brute force ain't never worked for anyone
before <g>.  Well, if I have some time I might try it.

Interestingly, my machine at university, running essentially the same
versions of everything, using the same source, printing the same
documents (hence the same fonts) works OK.

gnumeric don't give me the option to use Ariel.  I tried some other
fonts, and about the fith one worked (Bitstream Charter).  So it seems
like most fonts don't work.

Cheers
Neilen

Regards,