Re: [OT] Suggestions for cheap laser printer supported by Linux

Hi

On 2002.01.14 22:20 Coen De Roover wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap laser printer that works flawlessly under
Linux.
I always thought this wouldn't be hard to find, but it turns out that
some problems may arise with GDI-based printers (who actually dominate
the lower-end market).
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Coen

www.linux-printing.org (or is it without the -? Oh well, try for yourself :) has some very usefull info on which models to buy. They have a detailed, searchable database, containing just about every printer you'd care to mention.

Furthermore, they have abstracts describing to which extent manufacturers support free unixes in general.

The short info according to them is:

For lasers, Lexmark, followed by HP is the best in terms of free unix support. All the lexmark Optra range printers come with both PCL and Postscript support.

Interestingly enough, the Lexmark inkjets are amongst the worst supported printers.... Epson seems to be the best for free unixes, particularly in combo with gimp print.

Hope this helps some
Neilen

P.S.
I am typing this all from memory. I am currently offline, but earlier tonight I was trying to optimally set up my project group's Laserjet 5MP under Debian, so as to replace the redhat 5.1 installation that has done duty till now. Anyway, as such I came accross the advice I gave while surfing earlier tonight. I might have remembered all wrong...